Re: COPY formatting

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: COPY formatting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:02:38AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> writes:
> >  The formatting function API can be pretty simple:
> >  text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction,
> >              int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)
>
> This seems like it could only reasonably be implemented as a C function.
Why? I said it's pseudo code. It should use standard fmgr API likeevery other PostgreSQL function or is it problem and
Ioverlooksomething? It must to support arbitrary programming language and notC only.

> I can't really imagine the average user of COPY wanting to write C in
> preference to, say, an external perl script.  What's the real use-case
> for the feature?
Don't hardcode any format to PostgreSQL, be open for others formats.
   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/