Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Further thoughts about warning for costly FK checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Richard, Tom:

> > > Call me crazy, but maybe we have to throw a message for primary
> > > key lookups on foreign key tables without indexes.  I hate to throw a
> > > message on update/delete rather than create table, but I don't see
> > > another way.

You're crazy.   For one thing, there are sometimes reasons to *not* have such
an index, and I really don't want a message I can't turn off thinking it
knows how to design a database better than me.   Second, many applications
will take warnings on update as an error condition and abort; this would be
fatal to them.

> > I don't think that will fly.  It's too noisy/repetitive, and it's
> > complaining at the wrong time (in production rather than when you're
> > setting up the DB schema).  Imagine how annoying it would be to get
> > such warnings if you were a user without the privileges needed to create
> > the requested index.

Not to water down anyone's beer, but I'm personally wondering how much good
any of these warnings will do, on CREATE TABLE or ADD CONSTRAINT or
otherwise.  I already get 2-4 warnings whenever creating a new table due to
keys, etc.   I don't read them anymore unless one of them is an ERROR, and I
suspect that a lot of DBAs are the same.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions