Re: Timing of 'SELECT 1'

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Timing of 'SELECT 1'
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
pgman wrote:
> > startup
> > query?
> > >
> > > I was sort of lurking on this thread, waiting to see what became of
> > it.
> > > Did
> > > nobody actually come to a conclusion on what that "last msec" was
> > from?
> >
> > I think the consensus was it was coming from the network layer somehow.
> > If that's the case (it probably is), there isn't a whole lot that can be
> > done about it except to bypass it using server side functions and such.
> >

> I did a little more research and found an unusual cause.  It turns out
> enabling log_parser/executor_status itself makes SELECT 1's log_duration
> go from 0.296 to 1.156 so the slowness I was seeing for SELECT 1 was
> from the measurement, not slowness in the normal code path.

I did a litte more testing.  It turns out that turning on
log_parser_stats and log_executor_stats and _not_ modifying
client_min_messages increases the execution time to 0.564 ms, and
modifying client_min_messages so the output is sent to the client
increases execution to 1.156, so the increase is half doing the time
measurements and half sending the info to the client.

Pennsylvania19073