Re: Compile Vs RPMs

От Paul Thomas
Тема Re: Compile Vs RPMs
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 03/02/2004 20:58 Anjan Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know whether there are any significant performance
> advantages of compiling (say, 7.4) on your platform (being RH7.3, 8, and
> 9.0, and Fedora especially) versus getting the relevant binaries (rpm)
> from the postgresql site? Hardware is Intel XEON (various speeds, upto
> 2.8GHz, single/dual/quad configuration).

Very unlikely I would have thought. Databases tend to speed-limited by I-O
performance and the amount of RAM available for caching etc. Having said
that, I've only got one machine (the laptop on which I'm writing this
email) which has still got its rpm binaries. My other machines have all
been upgraded from source.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |