Re: Database conversion woes...

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Database conversion woes...
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 16:42, Kevin Carpenter wrote:

> Thanks in advance, will give more detail - just looking for some open
> directions and maybe some kicks to fuel my thought in other areas.

I've taken to doing a lot of my data manipulation (version conversions etc) in
PG even if the final resting place is MySQL.

It's generally not too difficult to transfer data but you will have problems
with MySQL's more "relaxed attitude" to data types (things like all-zero
timestamps). I tend to write a script to tidy the data before export, and
repeatedly restore from backup until the script corrects all problems.Not
sure how convenient that'll be with dozens of gigs of data. Might be
practical to start with the smaller databases, let your script grow in
capabilities before importing the larger ones.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd