Re: Russian characters

От Aarni Ruuhimäki
Тема Re: Russian characters
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Thanks Manuel and Reshat,

I re-inited with UTF-8 and it seems to work ok.

I understand that displaying the chars really depends on the client(browser)
and it is not my concern. I bit baffled though, as I played around with
encoding settings in Konqueror, I can see the 'funny' chars also from a
LATIN1 db. But I am happy as long as the db stores and retrieves them right.
So, no probs.

Thanks again.

BR,

Aarni

On Thursday 29 January 2004 06:57, you wrote:
> Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni.ruuhimaki@kymi.com> writes:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Could I have guidelines on how to store and display (generic ?)
> > Russian characters right, and Spanish as well, for that matter,
> > alongside with nordic / latin1 ? Encoding ? Running RH 7.3 + Pg
> > 7.4.1. Is this even possible ?
>
> If you want to store multilingual chars you must use some encoding
> that supports that, UTF-8 (Unicode) for instance. Displaying those
> chars isn't PostgreSQL issue. The client must be correctly configured
> (and should support the corresponding encoding) to display those
> chars.
>
> Regards,
> Manuel.

Aarni Ruuhimäki | Megative Tmi | KYMI.com