Re: Adding missing FROM clause - thanks or no thanks?

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Adding missing FROM clause - thanks or no thanks?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:00:15 -0500,
  John Siracusa <siracusa@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I fixed the query construction bug, but I have a question: is this
> "adding missing FROM-clause entry" behavior part of the SQL standard(s) or a
> "feature" of Postgres?  Prior to seeing this, I'd have expected a query like
> the above to cause a fatal error in the parsing stage.  Put another way, can
> someone give me an example of when this behavior is useful or desirable?

It is an extension. I think starting with 7.4 you can turn it off.
It is sort of useful for delete where there isn't a syntax to specify
addition tables, though I think you can get the same functionality
even there using subselects in the where clause.