Re: postgresql + apache under heavy load

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: postgresql + apache under heavy load
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 21 January 2004 14:11, Alex Madon wrote:
> Hello,
> I am testing a web application (using the DBX PHP function to call a
> Postgresql backend).
> I have 375Mb RAM on my test home box.
[10 connections is fine, 100 is not]

> I tried to change some parameters in postgresql.conf
> max_connections = 32
> to max_connections = 8

Are you saying you had more than 8 connections open simultaneously? Are you
sure you restarted PG so that it noticed the new values? You can check config
settings with "show all;" from psql, or "show <setting>".

You'll want to use the "top" command to show the amount of memory each process
is using and then check the configuration/tuning articles at the following
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php

First step is to make sure your changes are being detected. Then, I'd guess
you want to set:
  max_connections
  shared_buffers
  sort_mem
  vacuum_mem (less important)
and then adjust effective_cache_size so it matches your normal load.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd