Re: What are nested transactions then? was Nested transaction workaround?

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: What are nested transactions then? was Nested transaction workaround?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday 14 January 2004 09:45, Chris Travers wrote:
> From: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@svana.org>
>
> > Well, actually, the problem appears to be that people want to be able to
> > roll back each individual statement without killing the parent
>
> transaction,
>
> > and they want to make this the default behaviour. This takes it out of
> > the "never used" category to "everybody does it" category.
>
> Ok.  Now I am confused.  I thought that a nested transaction would involve
> two features:
> 1:  The ability to incrimentally commit/rollback changes, i.e. at certain
> points in the transaction have a sub-commit.
> 2:  The ability to have a transaction within another transaction with
> transactional visibility rules applying within the transaction tree.

Of course you can do #1 with #2.

> What exactly do you mean by roll back individual statements?  What exactly
> would be the default behavior?

I think we're talking about the "insert and if that fails update" sequence
that seems to be a common approach.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Huge Data
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: What are nested transactions then? was Nested transaction workaround?