Re: serverless postgresql

От Enrico Weigelt
Тема Re: serverless postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* Jeff Bowden <jlb@houseofdistraction.com> [2004-01-13 13:38:02 -0800]:

> For ease of configuration and other reasons, I would like for my
> single-user GUI app to be able to use postgresql in-process as a library
> accessing a database created in the users home directory.  I think I
> could possibly get what I want by launching a captive copy of postmaster
> with appropriate args but it seems conceptually cleaner to not have a
> seperate process at all.  Has anyone tried to do anything like this?

hmm, i've also played around a little bit w/ postgresql standalone.
you could also do nice things like calling postmaster from inetd ;-)

but I dont think you really wanna have the postmaster in the same
process w/ your application, since it relies on forks, signals,
mmap() and some other things which directly affect the process control -
this probably infers with your application. On the application side
you cant really control, what it does, so it sounds quite difficult.
Having the postmaster in a separate process connected by a socket or
pty seems to be the better solution.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/