Re: install

От Sukellusseura Vesikot r.y.
Тема Re: install
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hulou,

First, you will have to run initdb (as user postgres perhaps):

#initdb -D /path/to/datadir/(owned by by postgres) -E (for encoding, perhaps
LATIN1 for umlauts and other funny characters to work and sort) -L
/default/onRH7.3/is/usr/local/pgsql/share/or/where/ever/postgres.bki/resides/

e.g:

initdb -D /usr/share/pgdata/ -E LATIN1 -L /usr/local/pgsql/share/

This will create your system / cluster.

Then, again as postgres or preferred user, or by default, start postmaster:

#/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /path/to/datadir/ -i(for port 5432 from
outside ?) -B (number of buffers) -N (number of connections allowed)

e.g.:

#/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/share/pgdata/ -i -B 128 -N 256

Hope this helps. Please swim for your smile through the docs ...

Creating users on your system is maybe beyond this list but have a look at:

http://www.trustix.net/pub/Trustix/releases/trustix-1.5/i586/doc/html/tsl-doc/tsl-doc.html

It pretty much has it all. Next, start package-hunting to satisfy the various
depencies ... and good luck !

BR,

Aarni

On Thursday 01 January 2004 21:23, you wrote:
> Hi
> I am a novice in using postgresql and I've faced to a
> problem at the beginning of my work....
>
> I have Linux OS on my computer and it has postgresql
> server but I cant use it...whenever I want to make a
> table
> it says that "it can not connect to the server" and it
> seems it's because no user has an ID on this server...
> how can I make my server work?
>
> thnx in advance
>
>  Novice....

> http://photos.yahoo.com/

Aarni Ruuhimäki, pj
Sukellusseura Vesikot r.y.

www.vesikot.fi
info@vesikot.fi

Microsoft should change into vacuum cleaner
business where people actually want products
that suck.
This is a bugfree broadcast to you from a linux system.
Viestissä mahdollisesti esitetyt mielipiteet
saattavat olla kirjoittajan henkilökohtaisia
näkemyksiä, eivätkä välttämättä edusta
Sukellusseura Vesikot r.y.:n virallista kantaa.