Re: What am I doing wrong in here?

От Casey Allen Shobe
Тема Re: What am I doing wrong in here?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Saturday 27 December 2003 13:50
> This analysis is nonsense ... system catalog operations do not do the
> same kinds of permission checks as user queries do.  Furthermore, if
> he'd not had permissions to create users, the initial CREATE USER
> command would have failed, and so would CREATE DATABASE (since it would
> then be specifying a nonexistent owner name).

The CREATE USER *did* fail, didn't it?  I'm sorry if I was inaccurate in my
response, but I don't believe I was - I think maybe we're just interpreting
the E-Mail two different ways.  Devrim, if you could copy and paste exactly
what you're doing and exactly where the errors appear in a psql session, that
would be most helpful.

I did nat say that the user had to be a superuser, only that the user had to
have createuser permission in order to CREATE USER.  And the last sentence of
the first paragraph may not be syntactically accurate because I am not
familiar with PostgreSQL's internals, but that is the effect of creating a
user, as I said in the second paragraph.

> My guess is that Devrim interpreted your suggestion as telling him to
> make the created user (tdmsoftmailserveruser) a superuser, which would
> naturally suppress any and all permissions failures for operations
> executed by that user.  That's hardly a reasonable answer to his problem
> though.

That is *NOT* what I suggested at all.

> As to what his real problem is, I dunno, but I'd like to find out.

Sure.

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
cshobe@softhome.net / http://rivyn.livejournal.com

Free development contributor of:
> KDE toolbar icons
> Kopete user interface, usability, and testing
> X11 Icelandic Dvorak keymaps
> Reporting of over 100 Kopete bugs

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: What am I doing wrong in here?
Сообщение: Re: What am I doing wrong in here?