Re: pljava revisited

От ow
Тема Re: pljava revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
--- Thomas Hallgren <thhal@mailblocks.com> wrote:
> The JVM will be started on-demand.
> Although I realize that one JVM per connection will consume a fair amount of
> resources, I still think it is the best solution. The description of this
> system must of course make it very clear that this is what happens and
> ultimately provide the means of tuning the JVM's as much as possible.

I think the new 1.5 JDK "Tiger" (to be released soon) will feature the "shared
VM" option, i.e. one JVM could be used to run multiple and independent apps.
Maybe worth looking into this.

> I advocate this solution because I think that the people that has the
> primary interest of a pl/java will be those who write enterprise systems
> using Java. J2EE systems are always equipped with connection pools.

IMHO, pl/java would be a great feature for Postgresql to have. It would
increase pgSql's chances to be considered as an "enterprise" RDBMS since most
of the enterprise apps are written in Java nowdays.

Regards,