Re: How to specify the beginning of the month in Postgres SQL syntax?

От Paul Thomas
Тема Re: How to specify the beginning of the month in Postgres SQL syntax?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 07/12/2003 16:16 jeff@dnuk.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to create a view in Postgres that has a where clause of the
> date < beginning of month.
>
> i.e.:
> SELECT supplier_number, Sum(amount) AS due
> FROM purchase_orders
> WHERE date < '2003-12-1' AND paid = 0
> GROUP BY supplier_number
> ORDER BY supplier_number ASC
>

> As you can see, I've specified the 1st of December this year as the
> where clause. What I want is an SQL statement that automatically
> generates the first of the month. How do I do this?

I do shed-loads of these date-related queries and although it's feasible
to write some SQL/UDF function to do what you're asking, in my experience
it is better to process the date in your app and pass it across as a
parameter. That way you could use the same piece of SQL to get, for
example, data which is > month owing just by passing 2003-11-01 as the
date. Probably what you need is to write a function which takes an
arbitary date and returns the first date in that month/year. You _could_
write this as PostgreSQL User Defined Function but writing it as part of
your app will give you a) greater flexibility as the function will be
easily available to other parts of your application b) if your app
language/dev environment has a source-level debugger, you will be able to
benefit from it when debugging your function and c) someone trying to
maintain your app in 4 years time will only need to know your application
language, SQL and a possible (very!) few PostgreSQL-specific variations
from the SQL language definition.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas