Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Дата
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Список pgsql-general

On Saturday 29 November 2003 01:27 pm, Randolf Richardson wrote:
> [sNip]
>
> > The biggest advantage MySQL still has over PostgreSQL is the same
> > advantage Microsoft has over Unix - entrenchment, both in
> > software and mindshare.
>
>         Ah yes, but in Microsoft's case many people are hate them because
> there is a perception that their products are the only choice.
>
>         At least with MySQL most users are generally happy with it, so the
> situation, although very similar, will be an even more difficult battle in
> this database world because there is a general consensus among many Windows
> OS users to move to something else (be it Linux-based or not) as long as it
> doesn't prevent them from doing all the things they need to do with their
> computer on a daily basis.
>
>         SQL standards are certainly a move in the right direction with regards
> to preventing the same drastic situation Microsoft has created from
> occurring, but since this isn't 100% possible at this time it should at
> least be a goal that's promoted throughout the community so as to ensure an
> interoperable future -- those who resist it can be questioned about their
> motives since it will obviously result in preventing compatibility which
> would make it more difficult for users to switch between RDBMSes.
>
> > The marketplace often does the right thing, but when one "was right"
> > thing dominates the market, the "new right" thing rarely has an easy
> > time.
>
>         The marketplace "used to" do the right thing.  Now the vast majority
> of decision makers are impressed by fancy looking marketing campaigns and
> stupidly believe everything that's published by well-known brand names,
> even when no brand name loyalty exists.  The worst problem with regards to
> this is that decisions are often made based on "what the majority of other
> people are supposedly doing" rather than "what actually best fits the needs
> of the project."

Actually what I saw a lot is that the decision is made by middle to upper
management. In order to avoid being blamed for "wrong decision" a lot of thos
decision makers simply stick to the market leaders. If the stuff then doesn't
work, their boss will always accept the excuse "but it's the market leader".
Therefor the decisionmakers job is safe.

    UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417