Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB / MySQL appliance for Linux arrives

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB / MySQL appliance for Linux arrives
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Matrin,

> It would appear that MySQL is making great strides into the commercial and
> even the enterprise arena.

Well, they had a lot of ground to make up.

> I am not seeing the same news coverage being said about Postgresql.
> I believe Postgresql has been a much better rdbms than MySQL for a long
> time, so then why has not Postgresql grabbed the commercial and enterprise
> arena before MySQL did?

Because PostgreSQL does not have a cadre of paid, full-time PR hacks to
trumpet our successes and/or make news items out of vaporware.    We have
part-time volunteers, and have only had a volunteer advocacy project at all
for a little over a year.

PostgreSQL is used heavily in large companies.  Unfortunately, one of the
factors which causes companies to choose postgresql -- that the BSD license
does not require code disclosure -- also means that they are reluctant to be
public with their use of the database.  For example, I have personally been
involved with 2 Fortune 500 companies and one major US government agency that
use PostgreSQL, and I can't name any of them.

If you are interested in getting more exposure for PostgreSQL, there are a lot
of things your could help on here.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions