Re: One slight revision to README

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: One slight revision to README
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Seth,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:59:31PM -0500, Seth Rubin wrote:
> I followed the README to install postgresql 7.4 on my new laptop (with
> XP Home), and it went very smoothly.

Ding, ding, ding!  I think we have winner! :,)

> Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.

> There was only one spot where what I did deviated from the README.  I
> don't have a /var/postgresql directory, and mkdir /var/postgresql/data
> won't work if it's not there, so maybe you want to change steps 5 and
> 6 to:
>
> [snip]

I prefer the attached patch instead.

> Or maybe that's overdoing it?

A little, but I really do appreciate the heads up.

FWIW, this section of my README is modeled after the standard PostgreSQL
INSTALL file.  Specifically, the following:

    Short Version

      [snip]
      adduser postgres
      mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
      chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
      su - postgres
      /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
      /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data ... &
      /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
      /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

> Just trying to save you from the windiots (the windows people grossly
> unfamiliar with unix) ...

Thanks for the good intentions...

Jason

Вложения