Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Shridhar,

> However I do not agree with this logic entirely. It pegs the next vacuum
> w.r.t current table size which is not always a good thing.

No, I think the logic's fine, it's the numbers which are wrong.   We want to
vacuum when updates reach between 5% and 15% of total rows.   NOT when
updates reach 110% of total rows ... that's much too late.

Hmmm ... I also think the threshold level needs to be lowered; I guess the
purpose was to prevent continuous re-vacuuuming of small tables?
Unfortunately, in the current implementation, the result is tha small tables
never get vacuumed at all.

So for defaults, I would peg -V at 0.1 and -v at 100, so our default
calculation for a table with 10,000 rows is:

100 +  ( 0.1 * 10,000 ) = 1100 rows.

> I would rather vacuum the table at 2000 updates, which is what you probably
> want.

Not necessarily.  This would be painful if the table has 10,000,000 rows.   It
*should* be based on a % of rows.

> Furthermore analyze threshold depends upon inserts+updates. I think it
> should also depends upon deletes for obvious reasons.

Yes.  Vacuum threshold is counting deletes, I hope?

> What did you expected in above example? It is not difficult to tweak
> pg_autovacuum calculations. For testing we can play around.

Can I set the settings to decimals, or are they integers?

> vacthresh = vacbase*vacscale
> anathresh = anabase + anascale*ntuples

Nope, see above.

My comment about the frequency of vacuums vs. analyze is that currently the
*default* is to analyze twice as often as you vacuum.    Based on my
experiece as a PG admin on a variety of databases, I believe that the default
should be to analyze half as often as you vacuum.

> I am all for experimentation. If you have real life data to play with, I
> can give you some patches to play around.

I will have real data very soon .....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions