Re: More Praise for 7.4RC2

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: More Praise for 7.4RC2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 11:26:44AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

> Reece Hart <reece@in-machina.com> writes:
>
> > Suspecting that I had a swiss-cheese table, I reclustered on an index
> > several times (which, I presume, is at least as good as vacuum (non-full)
> > removing internal free space, with the benefit of optimized row ordering).
>
> My understanding is that CLUSTER is as good as a VACUUM FULL actually.

Well, it's different in that it does the equivalent of a REINDEX on all

It's also slower and needs lots of additional space: double the space of
your table and all it's indexes.

Essentially, you're proposing Kevlar shoes as a solution for the problem
that you want to walk around carrying a loaded gun aimed at your foot.
(Tom Lane)