Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for a cascaded master-slave replication system

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for a cascaded master-slave replication system
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hans-J�rgen Sch�nig wrote:
> Meanwhile we seem to be in a situation where PostgreSQL is rather
> competing against Oracle than against MySQL. In our case there are more
> people asking for Oracle -> Pg migration than for MySQL -> Pg. MySQL
> does not seem to be the great enemy because most people know that it is
> an inferior product anyway.

I can confirm Hans' impressions --- I get very few questions about MySQL
vs. PostgreSQL, at least in the past few years.  People still using
MySQL at this point know they are using something inferior to
PostgreSQL, and if they didn't, the new MySQL licensing has made it
abundantly clear.  MySQL just isn't in the same league, and probably
will never be.  What people want is Informix/Oracle/MS-SQL => PostgreSQL.