Re: Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site

От Andreas Grabmüller
Тема Re: Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site
Дата
Список pgsql-www
----- Original-Nachricht -----
Von: "Michael Glaesemann" <grzm@myrealbox.com>
An: pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Datum: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 02:23 AM
Betreff: [pgsql-www] Considerations on a Multi-Lingual Site

> On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 08:03 AM, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
> > It's difficult to create elements like lists without knowing HTML.
>
> Couldn't it be done along the lines of building selects? Say you've got
> an array of list items:
>
> $list_array = array ('apples','oranges','grapes');
>
> $list_string =  '<ul>';
> foreach $list_array as $this_item {
>     $list_string .=  '<li>'.$this_item.'</li>';
> }
> $list_string .= '</ul>';
>
> This doesn't solve the problem of how you get the list into the
> database, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Well, the problem I see is that we need a way for the translators to write the list without knowing HTML...

> >  I think we have two options here: a bbcode parser that allows some
> > input like the popular bulletin boards do or using a WYSIWYG editor
>
> A bbcode parser would probably be adequate. Wiki markup isn't too hard
> and parsers are easy to come by.
>
> > If a translator creates a page in its own language, should it be not
> > available to other languages or appear in that foreign language for
> > the english people? Should they be able to change the menu (just for
> > their own language or for all)?
>
> I could see a link with something like "Translate this item" if a
> translation isn't available in the preferred language of the viewer.
> That then brings them to the bbcode page (requiring whatever
> authentication you want, if you want to limit the translations to be
> done only be authorized translators).

Difficult - except we want to give everyone access to the translations, it does not make sense to offer this link to
non-translators...

> As for what news is displayed, I think it might be a good idea to
> display all of the items, with as many translated as translations are
> available. For languages that haven't got a full version of everything
> translated, you might get some pretty sparse pages, and people wouldn't
> necessarily know what they're missing.

Currently it's handled so if there's no translation the english version is used - this won't work any more if we don't
havean english version, so the question is if the user than gets a 404 - File not found message or the content in a
differentlanguage...

> It might be nice if you could store a language preference order in the
> cookie. So for example, if I wanted English first, then German, then
> Japanese, I'd get the translation of the highest preference that was
> available.

Should be possible. Currently just the one prefered language is stored, but I see no reason why we should not allow to
storemore preferences...

> This may have already been hashed out. I haven't looked closely enough
> at that section of the code yet.
>
> Michael

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Grabmüller

--
LetzPlay.de
| Freemail:       http://www.letzplay.de/mail
| Forenhosting: http://www.letzplay.de/foren

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Idea for a new index page
Сообщение: Re: Idea for a new index page