Re: [NOVICE] Help with "locking" please

От Aled Morris
Тема Re: [NOVICE] Help with "locking" please
Дата
Список pgsql-general
How do you guarantee that clients actually "unlock" the rows? What if a client
crashes or unplugs the network connection? There needs to be some kind of
timeout. So then you need a separate process to manage the timeouts, and for
the clients to periodically renew the locks. Urgh.

Of course if you are happy to go and manually remove stale locks, then just
stick a "current user" column in the table. This is workable for, say 5 or 10
clients.

I would see if it was OK to simply use a "last modified" timestamp on the
record, and before updating it, detect if someone else has changed it. If so,
then give the option to cancel, overwrite or maybe even merge the changes.
You can refine this by rechecking for changes when the user first edits the
record.

A better solution might be to rearchitect the database to avoid the whole
issue. I don't know what your application does, but you mention a Contacts
table. So if you are updating a Text column by appending details of each
conversation you have, change the design so that you add a new row that
describes the change, instead of updating an existing row. (Somewhat
analogous to the "Command" design pattern).

AM

--

Aled Morris

Home email address: aled@tesco.net