Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?
Дата
Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: [CORE] Bittorrent?  (Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>)
Список pgsql-www
Marc,

> If I'm reading the FAQ/Documentation correctly ... and I may not be
> understanding it completely after a admittedly quick pursual ... it sounds
> like a 'napster for files', with ppl uploading to our servers, as well as
> downloading from it?

Yes, but they're OSS-friendly, popular, and several members of our community
already use Bitorrent.  Among other things, Linux kernels get distributed
over it.  It uses the p2p network to bypass bottlenecks at certain ftp sites,
allowing you to stream the same download from 2-5 sites simultaneosly and
saturate your download bandwidth.

I don't think we necessarily need to host a Bitorrent server at hub.org; I'm
not clear on how joining bitorrent works, really.   I'll ask one of the
current users.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco