Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: pg_ctl reports succes when start fails
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > We can also try to come up with a better scheme for verifying that
> > we have started properly - I will think about that.
>
> There have been previous suggestions for a "pg_ping" functionality,
> in which you could simply send a packet to the postmaster and it
> would answer back if it's open for business.  You can approximate
> this by sending a deliberately invalid login packet, but it's not
> quite the same thing.  I think there were some concerns about
> security though; check the archives.

Um, I wrote pg_ping and sent it to -patches but got no comments.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-07/msg00053.php

pg_ping is actually the basis for the threaded benchmark program I've
got sitting in my tree, but I don't think folks here would look kindly
on a -lpthread dependency given how up in the air pg's thread
support/testing is at the moment.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden