Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS selection

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS selection
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
pgman wrote:

> > > I am afraid that adds too much confusion to the debug situation.  We
> > > have a flag to do -g;  let people use it if they want it.
> > >

> > Well, -g eats up some disk space, but for a gcc it doesn't need CPU
> > cycles or anything else. I doubt many people who pay the horrible
> > storage capacity overhead for PostgreSQL are that concerned about some
> > extra symbols stored with their binaries, but let's not argue about that
> > one.
>
> Well, people are stripping the executable, so some of them must care.
> In fact, if we enable -g by default for gcc, how do compile with default
> symbols?  We would need another configure option.  Strip is not the same
> as default symbols.

Let me also add that on my old dual P3 550 256MB RAM -g significantly
slowed down the build because linking took a long time, probably because
it had to read in all those debug symbols for the link --- I remember
the backend link taking quite a lot of time.

In fact, even though I was debugging the backend regularly, I removed -g
and added it only when I wanted to debug.

Pennsylvania19073