Re: 7.4 compatibility question

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 7.4 compatibility question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Neil Conway writes:
>
> > So I think we could make the release notes more useful if we provided a
> > bit more detail in each entry, and documented changes more extensively.
> > We could also make better use of SGML, for example by adding <xref>s to
> > the release notes where applicable. I think we also need to *really*
> > maintain the release notes incrementally during 7.5 development, rather
> > than having Bruce summarize the CVS logs at the end. IMHO, every patch
> > that makes a significant change should update the release notes, when
> > the patch is applied.
>
> I've been pushing this agenda for a few releases now, but some people have
> been, er, boycotting it.  I think, too, that release notes *must* be

If they _must_ be done the way you suggest, why have we been able to
generate reliable release notes all these years?

Basically, I think release notes are more efficiently written in batch
mode, meaning all at once --- sure, we could do it incrementally, but it
is more work to fiddle with it in pieces.

I want people to focus on reliable commit messages and I can handle the
release notes part.  The one advantage of incremental is that folks can
see what we have added so far, but it doesn't seem worth the extra work.

Pennsylvania19073