Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS selection

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Still a few flaws in configure's default CFLAGS selection
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > The vote was whether -g should be used for a default compile.  Of course
> > --enable-debug would continue using -g.  Maybe we kept --enable-debug
> > for backward compatibility or to force -g if you modified CFLAGS?
>
> I can't see why we would have kept --enable-debug if we intended to make
> -g be default anyway.  Backwards compatibility is not an issue, because
> configure simply ignores --enable switches it doesn't recognize (another
> questionable autoconf design decision, but I digress).  And if you are
> setting CFLAGS for yourself, you are surely capable of adding -g to it
> if you want; why would you type seven times as much to accomplish the
> same thing?

The discussion mentions the problem with keeping --enable-debug:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00281.php

I am not sure that Peter actually implemented it, but when I started
seeing -g flags in the compile, I assumed it had been done.

Pennsylvania19073