Re: UPDATE table to a joined query...

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: UPDATE table to a joined query...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You appear to have accidentally just replied to me.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:48:35 -0400,
  Mike Leahy <mgleahy@fes.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Okay...that seems to work.  However, there are two things that are causing
> me problems.  First, if I use the statement exactly as you have it in your
> reply I get 'ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "." at character 15' -
> it doesn't seem to like the 'a.' before the first reference to the column
> being named.  It's clearly nothing serious - I suppose it's redundant to put
> it there anyway, since we've already indicated we're updating the columns in
> table 'a' to begin with.

That was my mistake. A table name there makes no sense since as you noted
the column has to be in the table being updated.

> Second, update I'm trying to run is about 20000 records (both in the table
> being updated, and in the joined query).  When I run this update, there is
> the usual length of time to run the query itself, then when it begins
> updating my processor sits at 100% for about 15 minutes (with a 2.4 GHz
> processor).  Is this normal, or is my update statement structured poorly
> somehow?  I tried dumping the query to a table rather than executing it
> within the update statement, and that didn't make much difference (example
> below).

An explain analyze would probably be useful to see.

> update tbl_ind_manzanas set poblacion = c.thecount from (select cod_manzana,
> thecount from tbl_ind_manzanas left join tmp_query on
> tbl_ind_manzanas.cod_manzana = tmp_query.cod_manz) as c where
> tbl_ind_manzanas.cod_manzana = c.cod_manzana;
>
> Can anyone suggest how this might possibly be improved so that it isn't so
> computationally intensive?

You probably want want to create an index on tmp_query (cod_manz) (and of
course (tbl_ind_manzanas (cod_manzana)) so that you don't need to do a sort
or nestloop to do the left join.