Re: postgres --help-config

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: postgres --help-config
Дата
Re: postgres --help-config  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Let me be clear on this --- your tools is not part of the PostgreSQL
> > community.  We are not required to allow any of this functionality
> > unless the community decides they want it.  The major argument for
> > keeping it, in my mind, is to be helpful to Red Hat.
> >
> > My current idea is to keep --help-config as readable output, add
> > --help-config-raw as machine-readable output, document those, and remove
> > all the additional flags.
>
> I'm beginning to think that we should scrap it and start with a real
> design for 7.5.  I know that's radical, but I don't think we're going to
> arrive at anything that anyone's going to like by the time we want to
> release.

The problem is how that affects Red Hat.  What do they do with their
tool?  I was hoping we could get a minimal setup for them to access
those variables so they could move forward.

Let me add I know these admin tools are very popular with support
companies.  I know SRA has an admin tool that can control
postgresql.conf variables.  My guess is that they did it by hacking
their version of PostgreSQL.

Looks like they have new URL showing their Win32 and enhanced PostgreSQL
products (English auto-translation):
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fpowergres.sra.co.jp%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Pennsylvania19073