Re: Postgres low end processing.

От Stef
Тема Re: Postgres low end processing.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi again all,

I've tested postgres 7.3.4 on Linux version 2.4.17
and this is what I found :

The initial instance took up 8372K and this fluctuated
between +- 8372K  and 10372K, plus +- 3500K for
every connection.

I did quite a few transactions on both connections, plus
a few vacuums and a pg_dump and the total memory usage
didn't seem to go over 16M

I set all the _buffers, _mem, _fsm settings to the minimum,
restarted every time, but this had absolutely no noticeable
increase or decrease in total memory usage.

(I used a program called gmemusage to get these stats.)

On the same machine , I tested postgres 7.1.2 with basically
the same conf options (not _fsm) and got the following :

The initial instance was 1772K and fluctuated to +- 4000K,
plus +- 3400K for every connection.

Doing the same transactions, vacuum + pg_dump, total
memory usage didn't really go over 11M,
which was exactly what I needed.

Although I've lived through some of the shortcomings of
7.1.2, it is still very stable, and works perfectly for
what it is going to be used for.

Again, here, I was only able to restrict things a little
by changing the configuration options, but no major
difference in memory usage.

Regards
Stef

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:55:51 +0200