Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:17:16AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > What if the feature does break compatibility with old features?
> > What if it is "truly" a new feature?
>
> There is _no_ mechanism in the community right now for testing all
> these new features in the so-called stable tree.
>
> I have lately been taking the position that Linux is only a
> second-best choice for production use, precisely because of the
> constant introduction of shiny new features in the supposed stable
> branch.  Without using something like RHAS or Debian stable, I think
> one is asking for trouble.  One needs to do a great deal of testing

Agreed.  Great Bridge was going to test our releases and only distribute
the good ones --- obviously they were thinking of Linux kernels and not
PostgreSQL.  You almost need a commercial company to do testing with
Linux kernels.   PostgreSQL doesn't require this, and I think Linux is
popular _in_ _spite_ of their buggy backported kernels (odd numbers?),
not because of it.

Pennsylvania19073