Re: LOCK.tag(figuring out granularity of lock)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: LOCK.tag(figuring out granularity of lock)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:49:36PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > "Right now the sectors on the hard disk run clockwise, but I heard a rumor that
> > you can squeeze 0.2% more throughput by running them counterclockwise.
> > It's worth the effort. Recommended."  (Gerry Pourwelle)
>
> In relation to your signature, I assume you have seen this joke:
>
>     http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/95q1/jpreviews.html
>
> The helicopter part is the funniest.

:-D

Yeah, I read that and actually extracted the quote from there.

As a small boy I used to read Jerry Pournelle's commentary on Byte.  (Or
was it PC World?  I don't remember.)  They were strange to me, and I
always thought life was like that for people in the USA, i.e. hardware
falling from the sky and always the getting latest and greatest of all
sorts of machinery and software.  I couldn't imagine what was this about
phoning someone to get support, much less paying fees.

The satire made me remember all that and I couldn't help quoting it on
my sigs.

"Porque Kim no hacia nada, pero, eso sí,
con extraordinario éxito" ("Kim", Kipling)