Re: Open 7.4 items

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Open 7.4 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> It'd clearly be worth our while to mention boosting sort_mem as a
> helpful thing to do during bulk data load --- it should speed up
> btree index creation too.  I don't think that tip appears anywhere
> in the docs at the moment.

Added recently, see last sentence:
amountof memory to be used by internal sort operations and       hash tables before switching to temporary disk files.
Thevalue is       specified in kilobytes, and defaults to 1024 kilobytes (1 MB).       Note that for a complex query,
severalsort or hash operations might be       running in parallel; each one will be allowed to use as much memory
asthis value specifies before it starts to put data into temporary       files. Also, several running sessions could be
doing      sort operations simultaneously.  So the total memory used could be many       times the value of
INDEX</>.      Hash tables are used in hash joins, hash-based aggregation, and       hash-based processing of
<literal>IN</>subqueries.  Because       <command>CREATE INDEX</> is used when restoring a database, it might       be
goodto temporarily increase this value during a restore.      </para>

Pennsylvania19073