Re: Learning PostgreSQL

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Learning PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:15:56PM +0200, Gevik Babakhani wrote:

Gevik,

> I know this might look like a childish question and you
> probably might have a good laugh over this but I
> would like to learn how PostgreSQL works inside-out.
> Could anyone please give me some pointers of where to start
> in/from the source code?

You probably won't hear too many laughs.  I don't think it's a childish
question myself.

The best place to start is probably Bruce Momjian's presentations.  You
can find some of them at http://developer.postgresql.org.  Make sure you
read the "Flowchart of the PostgreSQL backend" and follow all the links
you can find there.

Also read the whole "Internals" chapter in the documentation, at
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/internals.html

Then you will probably need to poke at the README files spread through
the source code.  After that, there probably isn't much else short of
reading the actual source code.  If you like it, we will be hopefully
hearing back from you again as you try to contribute something...

"Aprender sin pensar es inútil; pensar sin aprender, peligroso" (Confucio)