Re: Oracle/PostgreSQL incompatibilities

От Rainer Klute
Тема Re: Oracle/PostgreSQL incompatibilities
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:53:05 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Rainer Klute <rainer.klute@epost.de> writes:
> > [ some good comments, but a few things I want to respond to ]
>
> >    + CREATE SCHEMA: Sometimes a schema created in PostgreSQL
> >      disappears if there is nothing in it.
>
> This is more than a bit hard to believe.  Can you give an example?

Well, no. I had to struggle a bit with schemas until I had it running the way I wanted. But now I can't reproduce the
problem.You may take that as good news. :-)

> >    + CREATE SEQUENCE: Oracle allows (or requires) "INCREMENT BY"
> >      instead of just "INCREMENT". Same for "START WITH" vs.
> >      "START". Oracle allows explicit NOCYCLE and NOCACHE. It also
> >      has a keyword ORDER.
>
> It looks like much of this has been done as of 7.4.  I dunno what ORDER
> is for though.

I don't know either but at least here's an example:
CREATE SEQUENCE ADAPTER.SEQ_ADAPTERSTORE INCREMENT BY 1 START WITH 1 MAXVALUE 999999999999999 NOCYCLE NOCACHE ORDER;

> >    + PostgreSQL does not support the NUMBER keyword without (...)
> >      i.e. something in parenthesis following it.
>
> Don't follow this one either.  We don't have NUMBER --- are you speaking
> of NUMERIC?  If so, I'm not aware of any context where you're required
> to put a precision on NUMERIC.  Again, may we see an example?

Here's an Oracle example:

create table BUSINESS_PROCESS       (ID NUMBER not null primary key,        BUSINESS_PROTOCOL varchar2(254),
PROTOCOL_VERSIONvarchar2(254),        DEFAULT_CONVERSATION_TIMEOUT NUMBER);

Best regards
Rainer Klute
 Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  rainer.klute@epost.de Körner Grund 24          Telefon: (0231) 511693
D-44143 Dortmund           Mobil:   (0172) 2324824