Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:15:33PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > It might be better to split into two different trees. One just gets bug fixes,
> > the other gets bug fixes plus enhancements that won't require an initdb.
>
> Yes, please.  Please, please do not force all users to accept new
> features in "stable" trees.

One word of warning --- PostgreSQL has grown partially because we gain
people but rarely lose them, and our stable releases help that.  I was
talking to someone about OS/X recently and the frequent breakage in
their OS releases is hurting their adoption rate --- you hit one or two
buggy releases in a row, and you start thinking about using something
else --- same is true for buggy Linux kernels, which Andrew described
earlier.

If we are going to back-patch more aggressively, we _have_ to be sure
that those back-patched releases have the same quality as all our other
releases.

I know people already know this, but it is worth mentioning specifically
--- my point is that more agressive backpatching has risks.

Pennsylvania19073