Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)
Дата
Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > If we go that direction, why don't we just make a GUC variable to
> > disable constraint checking.  Is that what this will do, or is it more
> > limited.  I know it breaks referential integrity, but we have had many
> > folks as for it, it is on the TODO list, and there are tons of server
> > functions flying around that do just this by fiddling with pg_class.  I
> > would rather just have it be a GUC for that particular backend.  People
> > are going to need to turn it off anyway, so why not give them a clean
> > way to do it.
>
> But such a GUC wouldn't affect just one backend.  It'd potentially affect
> all backends that were doing concurrent modifications that would be
> involved since the locks aren't taken.  In addition, who would be allowed
> to set this value and what constraints would it affect? If it's only
> superusers, then it doesn't help for non-superuser restores.  If it's
> settable by anyone and affects only constraints on tables that user owns
> and that refer to tables that user owns it might be okay.  If it's
> settable by anyone and affects all tables it renders the constraints
> meaningless since anyone could break them.

I assume it would be only setable by the super-user.  They are mucking
around with pg_class anyway (and have permission to do so), so let them
do it cleanly at least.  Allowing non-supers to do it for tables they
own would be OK, I guess.  Is there a problem if some of the primary
table is owned by someone else?  Not sure.

Pennsylvania19073