Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(I think my previous attempt got aborted by a lost connection, so a
message like this may arrive twice)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> writes:
> >> Hm.  Don't suppose you were using EXPLAIN ANALYZE so we could see what's
> >> happening?  This is clearly a planner failure, although I'm unsure if we
> >> can expect the planner to get the right answer with no pg_statistic entries.
>
> > The left join one seems to give me values like the following:
>
> There are some fishy row estimates in here:
>
> >    ->  Index Scan using pktest_a_key on pktest  (cost=0.00..52.00
> > rows=1000 width=8) (actual time=17.82..1609.97 rows=10000 loops=1)
>
> The system definitely should be expected to have the accurate row count
> for the PK table, since an index should have been created on it (and we
> do do that after loading the data, no?).  It is possible that it'd have
> the default 1000 estimate for the FK table, if there are no indexes at
> all on the FK table; otherwise it should have the right number.  It's
> not real clear to me what conditions you're testing under, but the
> estimates in the plans you're quoting aren't consistent ...

Also, the sequence was basically:
CREATE TABLE pktest(a int, b int, unique(a,b));
CREATE TABLE fktest(b int, c int);
COPY pktest FROM STDIN;
COPY fktest FROM STDIN;
<run some tests I didn't mention here>
CREATE INDEX fki on fktest(b,c);
<run the above test>

With stopping and restarting the server involved and running the tests
multiple times.

Сообщение: Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)
Сообщение: Re: ADD FOREIGN KEY (was Re: [GENERAL] 7.4Beta)