Re: 2-phase commit

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: 2-phase commit
Дата
Re: 2-phase commit  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:13:27AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I think it was Andrew that suggested it ... when the slave timesout, it
> should "trigger" a READ ONLY mode on the slave, so that when/if the master
> tries to start to talk to it, it can't ...
>
> As for the master itself, it should be smart enough that if it times out,
> it knows to actually abandom the slave and not continue to try ...

Yes, but now we're talking as though this is master-slave
replication.  Actually, "master" and "slave" are only useful terms in
a transaction for 2PC.  So every machine is both a master and a
slave.

It seems that one way out is just to fall back to "read only" as soon
as a single failure happens.  That's the least graceful but maybe
safest approach to failure, analogous to what fsck does to your root
filesystem at boot time.  Of course, since there's no "read only"
mode at the moment, this is all pretty hand-wavy on my part :-/

----
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8                                        +1 416 646 3304
x110