Re: Performance: BigInt vs Decimal(19,0)

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Performance: BigInt vs Decimal(19,0)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Franco,

> Wouldn't it be the most portable solution to work with a domain?
> CREATE DOMAIN BIG_NUMBER AS BIGINT;
>
> If I use BIG_NUMBER everywhere I need it in my database, porting it to
> other database products should be easy... any SQL 92 compliant dbms
> should support domains.

This is a good idea, on general principles.  Abstracted design is a good
thing.

Regrettably, though, a lot of commercial databases do not support DOMAIN.
You'll need to check which databases you are thinking of porting to first.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions