Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Perhaps we can throw a warning rather than an error, and adjust initdb
> > to be consistent.
>
> I like the idea of reducing the newline consistency check to a warning.
> There is one thing we'd have to watch for though (it's already an issue
> but would become a bigger one): client-side COPY code had better be
> prepared to absorb backend Notice messages while processing COPY IN.
> Currently libpq doesn't read input data at all during a COPY IN loop,
> which means that if the COPY generates more than a few K of warning
> messages, the backend gets blocked on a full pipe and the whole
> operation locks up.  I have been meaning to fix that in libpq anyway,
> but what other client libraries might have the same issue?  Anyone know
> whether JDBC would need a similar fix?

Wow, that sounds big.  The ERROR will only happen once, while the
WARNING could happen a lot --- we could add code to throw the WARNING
only once per COPY command --- that would probably make sense.  I don't
see how we could get all clients to handle this for 7.4, particularly
clients from previous releases.

Сообщение: Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)
Сообщение: Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)