Re: Is this "order by" logic right

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Is this "order by" logic right
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Josué Maldonado wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Josué Maldonado wrote:
> > You haven't given your locale or system type, but this seems reasonably
> > if you're in a locale that generally ignores spaces (for example my redhat
> > machine does so in en_US).  If you want byte order sorting, you'll
> > probably need to re-initdb with LC_COLLATE set to "C"
>
> The db was initialized with the defaults in postgresql.conf, so the
> locale is en_US. Any idea how to change it?

Unfortunately, the only real way to change the collation right now is to
re-initdb with LC_COLLATE set to something else in the environment. The
index order for btree indexes is dependant on the collation order so
changing it after the fact would be bad.  This does mean dumping and
reloading or some kind of replication to get the data between the old
system and new.