mod_auth_pgsql & encryption

От Molly Gibson
Тема mod_auth_pgsql & encryption
Дата
Re: mod_auth_pgsql & encryption  (Holger Marzen <holger@marzen.de>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,
I have recently installed Apache/1.3.28 +
mod_auth_pgsql-0.9.12
(http://www.giuseppetanzilli.it/mod_auth_pgsql/)

The only way I have been able to get it to
successfully authenticate against my postgres (7.3.4)
database is to turn Auth_PG_encrypted off & have
encryption turned off in postgresql.conf.  I am really
uncomfortable with the idea of having unencrypted user
passwords laying about, but if I try to use an
encrypted password from the database, I get 'password
mismatch'.

I have tried:
- setting Auth_PG_pwd_table to pg_shadow,
Auth_PG_encrypted to "on";  results in "password
mismatch" error
- setting Auth_PG_pwd_table to user_auth (table I
created--docs were not clear on wether you could use
an existing table such as pg_shadow),
Auth_PG_encrypted to "on", user passwords c&pd from
pg_shadow; results in "password mismatch"
- setting Auth_PG_pwd_table to user_auth,
Auth_PG_encrypted to "on", user passwords c&pd from a
separate md5 hash program; results in "password
mismatch"
- setting Auth_PG_pwd_table to user_auth,
Auth_PG_encrypted to "off", user passwords set in
plain text; works
- setting Auth_PG_nopasswd to "on", give user a blank
password; works
- (for verification) setting Auth_PG_pwd_table back to
pg_shadow, turn encryption off in postgresql.conf, set
user password to plain text, Auth_PG_encrypted to
"off"; works

I would really like to use the existing tables
(pg_shadow, pg_group) instead of maintaining a
separate set of tables for user logins & group
assignments, assuming I get the encryption part
figured out.
Anybody have any ideas how I could go about resolving
this or troubleshooting it further?  It seems to me
there is a difference between postgres's encryption
and mod_auth_pgsql's encryption.  Google turned up
only a few people who'd had the same problem (no
answers to it) and people who said they'd been using
mod_auth_pgsql for a while with no problems. ???

TIA
mol