Re: State of Beta 2

От Kaare Rasmussen
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> No can do, unless your intent is to force people to work on pg_upgrade
> and nothing else (a position I for one would ignore ;-)).  With such a
> policy and no pg_upgrade we'd be unable to apply any catalog changes at
> all, which would pretty much mean that 7.5 would look exactly like 7.4.

Not sure about your position here. You claimed that it would be a good idea to
freeze the on disk format for at least a couple of versions. Do you argue
here that this cycle shouldn't start with the next version, or did you
reverse your thought ?

If the former, I think you're right. There are some too big changes close to
being made - if I have read this list correctly. Table spaces and PITR would
certainly change it.

But if the freeze could start after 7.5 and last two-three years, it might
help things.

Howitzvej 75               Åben 12.00-18.00        Email: kar@kakidata.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 12.00-16.00       Web:      www.suse.dk