PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...

От Richard Huxton
Тема PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 19 September 2003 16:18, Tom Lane wrote:

> Now that MySQL AB has put a stake through the heart of that connection
> by GPL'ing their client libraries, we might start to get a little better
> traction with PHP users...

Speaking as a PG+PHP user, the new plphp procedural language should be very
useful. I fully intend to be writing a code generator that can produce
validation functions to be run in PG and in the app. About time I stopped
writing two sets of validation code. I'll stick it on gborg if no-one gets
there before me.

One thing I think would be useful is another pseudo-var in PG, something like
APP_SESSION_VAR which can be set and then used in PG queries. This would make
it much easier to write queries like:

CREATE VIEW my_project_list AS
SELECT * FROM project_list WHERE owner=APP_SESSION_VAR

At the moment you can do this sort of thing easily enough for straightforward
queries, but views/function bodies are a PITA.

Tom - if I offered to produce a patch for something like this - either a var
or a function pair (get_app_session_var(), set_app_session_var(varchar))
would it be likely to be accepted? I've probably got some free time towards
the end of the year.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd