Re: This mail list and its policies

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: This mail list and its policies
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 20:59:53 -0700,
  expect <expect@ihubbell.com> wrote:

> I had no idea that my address was being broadcast to the world via
> comp.databases.postgresql.general  I have no problem with having messages sent
> to the list go to the group.  I do have a problem with my address out there in
> the free and clear.  Shouldn't the initial subscription notice let new sub-
> scribers know that their address will be broadcast over the planet?

Not really, as addresses on technical lists generally are available on
the web archives.

> What's the logic and/or justification for doing this? I can handle the spam
> using the delete key but I really don't like the additional burden that it
> puts on my ISP.  I would have posted via usenet had I known about this policy.
> As a matter of fact that's what I intend to do from now on.   Well this
> address was good for some time and now it's tainted.  The list owner
> should send out as part of the pre-subscription message a warning that
> the address they use will show up on usenet and the www.

To make it easier to communicate with people.

> Things that should be done as a responsible list:

One option for you is to use the list address in the from header when
posting to the list. That will hide your address and not break replies.
Most likely the list checks the envelope sender address to see whether
or not the message needs moderator approval. So you should be able to
have your messages go through right away if you keep the envelope sender
address the same as your subscription address.