Re: State of Beta 2

От Kaare Rasmussen
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Re: State of Beta 2  (Andrew Rawnsley <ronz@ravensfield.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> repeat it.  Just any old developer can't do this -- it needs the
> long-term focused attention of Tom, Jan, or Bruce.  And that isn't going

I believe that neither of these people was born with the knowledge of how
PostgreSQL is working. An experienced developer with the time and the money
would be able to solve your problem.

> to do it.  I care enough to do the work; but I have neither the deep
> knowledge necessary nor the time to make it happen.  There are many in

You and others state that this is a very important issue. But it's really only
an issue if you can't ever have a service window. If people don't have
service windows, they have very expensive solutions and ought to be able to
afford the expense of a developer. They get so much for free, so if this is
the only problem they have, they should collect and hire a programmer.

> my position.  But those who could make it happen don't seem to have the
> care level to do so.

They're occupied with other matters. And yes - they often choose from personal
interest - and an upgrade tool will never make top 5 for any normal developer
;-)

> What good are great features if it's a PITN to get upgraded to them?

I still believe that users who can't upgrade are few and far between. If they
are so many, why won't they sponsor the cost for an upgrade utility ?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 12.00-18.00        Email: kar@kakidata.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 12.00-16.00       Web:      www.suse.dk