(forw) problem with dumping as restoring

От Christian Ruediger Bahls
Тема (forw) problem with dumping as restoring
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
as suggested by Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>
i send this to psql-hackers

----- Forwarded message from Christian Ruediger Bahls <christian.bahls@stud.uni-rostock.de> -----
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:43:17 +0200
Subject: Re: [BUGS] problem with libpq/encrypted
To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

hello tom ..
.. i am sorry for not replying any earlier
.. i was taken up by our project, which is now finished  (that much work for a 1 week congress)
.. today i took the time to get the top of the 7.3 branch  and recompiled everything ..
.. i can now confirm the top of the 7.3 branch does fix my problem
[2003-08-25 12:24] Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Please also try 7.3 branch CVS tip to see if it resolves your problem.

while i am at it(i finally have enough time to write elaborate emails)
i ran into some problems while playing with 7.4beta2(from cvs)

i am not able to reload my database after dumping it
.. as fas as i realized that _is_ mandatory for upgrading to 7.4 .. isn't it ?

this problems _is not_ 7.4 specific
.. saving and restoring doesnt even work painless for version 7.3.4

several problems:
* schema definitions are not restored correctly  CREATE SCHEMA AUTHORIZATION person; will be dumped as:  SET SESSION
AUTHORIZATION'person';  CREATE SCHEMA 'person'; which of course will not work because person will not have the right to
createschemas

* functions are not dumped in the right order example:    FUNCTION lecture_bookings_intersection_p requires    FUNCTION
lecture_bookings_intersectionbut is scheduled to be restored before it most of the ERRORS in the log are generated by a
cascade(function doesn't get created -> table doesn't -> view doesnt -> access can not be restored)

* views that are in different schemas but have certain access restrictions do not get created because of privileges
(VIEWmafing in SCHEMA strauss for example) [couldn't identify the source of that problem]

if you have any pointer* something that i could improve in my database design* some options i forgot to specify on
pg_dumpscommandline* a different place where i should ask my question* some patches that i could try for you

thank you very much in advance
yours christian bahls maths student

PS: i put all the files in the download directory of our project-server   (please append .gz to get smaller gzipped
files)

http://dmv.math.uni-rostock.de/downloads/global.sql -> users definition

http://dmv.math.uni-rostock.de/downloads/database.orig.sql -> original database dump
http://dmv.math.uni-rostock.de/downloads/database.new.sql -> edited databasedump with CREATE SCHEMA AUTHORIZATION