Re: PostGreSql database features questions

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: PostGreSql database features questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 12 September 2003 18:38, Ish Ahluwalia wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm very new to PostGreSql database and actually looking to evaluate for
> one of our project needs.  Below please find some questions.  I'm hoping
> if I can get some insight into these questions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ish...
>
> 1)  Does PostGreSql allows for multiple databases to be open at the same
> time?

Yes, multiple clients to multiple databases.

> 2) Does PostGreSql have the ability to tag a Database/Table to be a
> persistent or non-persistent database/table?  By this question I mean,
> that I may need to have a table that I don't want to be saved to the
> hard disk/ flash file system and only want to keep it in memory and
> other tables/database I may want to save to hard disk or flash.  Does
> PostGreSql allow for that?

You can mark a table as TEMPORARY which means it will only survive for the
length of a connection (and only be visible to that connection). I'm not sure
it makes sense to run the database from flash, but you could copy the data to
flash when you shut PG down.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd