Re: pgsql-server/src backend/bootstrap/Tag: backen ...

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pgsql-server/src backend/bootstrap/Tag: backen ...
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > The whole MinGW thing is overhyped.  Install Cygwin and specify gcc
> > > -mno-cygwin when you compile.  That gets you the same compilation
> > > environment that MinGW provides, but you can use all the Unix tools.
> >
> > But we still need to do the work of getting this to work without
> > compatiblity libraries.
>
> That's what I'm saying: -mno-cygwin turns off all the Cygwin compatiblity
> libraries and compiles it just like MinGW.  It's the same code.

I am not using any MinGW features.  The changes I am making are needed
for a Visual C port or any native port.

I am using MinGW because there is no confusion over libraries I _don't_
want to use, and over possible license issues.  We can switch to Cygwin
if we wish --- the Win32 code will be the same.  I don't even have a
compile test for MinGW being present or anything.

> > > Yeah, but if there is supposedly no cvs available in that environment,
> > > what is the point of this exercise?  They're going to have to download a
> > > pre-cooked tarball anyway.
> >
> > True.  They could CVS from somewhere else and copy it to Win32, but they
> > would need flex/bison on Win32 for the compile.  It just seemed two less
> > things for people to do.
>
> If they get cvs from "somewhere", why can't they get flex and bison from
> the same place?

I am not sure.

I don't understand why people are wasting time worrying about a few
files resurected in CVS to assist Win32.  If you want me to set up my
own CVS so people aren't bothered, maybe I should do that.  It is a pain
to be having to answer so many questions about something that is
micro-managing a project like this.

If you want a vote on whether those files should be added, fine, if not,
I would rather not hear complaints.